Friday, September 10, 2010

Uyghur Rice with Lamb

I was introduced to Uyghur food in 2008, and have been addicted to it since then. Uyghur food is similar to Jewish or Turkish food, and its very unique in central Asia. One of my favorites is a rice dish, I believe called "Polu" but I am not sure. I've heard the name only in passing, but I insisted on learning how to make it. So here's another favorite of mine

Uyghur Rice with Lamb

Ingredients:

2 cups basmati rice
3 cups water
1 lb of cubed, bite sized lamb (The lamb in my pictures was actually cut too large)
1 medium sized/small tomate, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
1-2 handfuls of shredded carrot
1-2 handfuls of golden raisins
2-3 tsp salt (to taste)
cinnamon (to taste)

Directions

Start by chopping your onions and tomatoes and shredding your carrots. I really think organic adds a lot of flavor, so if you have the choice, go with that. We used a nice heirloom tomato, which provided great flavor!


Heat up a pan with some oil. Start browning the onions and the meat together. Keep cooking until the onions have reduced.


When the onions have reduced, add chopped tomatoes.


Stir until the tomatoes have also reduced.

When the tomates are reduced, add your carrots right on top.


Now add the cinnamon and salt, stir and taste to make sure it tastes right. It should taste a bit saltier than you will like the final product, since you will be adding a lot of rice.


Once the spicing is correct, add 3 cups of water.


on top of this, well destributed, pour 2 cups of basmati rice.


Sprinkle a handful or two of golden raisins on the top.


Cover and cook on a medium flame for 25 minutes. On an electric stove, you might need to adjust this. The water should be simmering.


Stir and eat! mmm.

3 comments:

  1. OMG. Amalia this looks sooo good. I'll make this for my boyfriend and I some time in the future, and let you know how it came out :D Thanks for the dinner idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely let me know how it came out! I'm curious to see how functional my instructions are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this dish. I cooked this dish for my friends on a few occasions.

    ReplyDelete