Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Raita!

A favorite Indian treat of mine is raita, a cool yoghurt salad of sorts. My mom also liked it, so when I came home, I made a big batch (a small bowl of which is featured above.) I ate that bowl in about 2 minutes.

Mixed Vegetable Raita
Ingredients:

2 Cups plain yoghurt (Dahi)
1/2 medium red onion (or, if you are in India, 1 small indian red onion) finely chopped.
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1/2 of a medium sized cucumber, chopped
1-1 1/2 TBS chopped cilantro
1-2 chopped green chilis (to taste. I personally leave these out, even though I like spicy food, I don't like the taste of raw chili)
1 tsp cumin powder (more or less to taste)
Salt to taste

pour the yoghurt into a mixing bowl. Whip it with a fork. My dad likes to drain the yoghurt, but I prefer it a bit watery.
chop and add the cilantro, mix
Peel the cucumber, scoop out the seeds. Chop the cucumber, add to the yoghurt and mix.
chop and add the onions, mix
chop the tomatos and squeeze them out a bit between your hands, then add (too much tomato juice will water down or curdle the yoghurt)
add the cumin powder and salt, mix together. Taste and adjust.

Serve chilled.

Currently, I have a nice big container of Raita in my fridge. I am a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment